About Me

My photo
An ARTIST WHO LOVES TO WRITE AND DO ANYTHING CREATIVE. a SCULPTOR WUZ GOT TONS OF IDEAS AND CONCEPTS LOVES INSTALLATION AND CONCEPTUAL ART. and can/willing to learn anything taught

Thursday, October 17, 2013

NIGERIAN/ABU. upbringing

So I had been seeing all these posters around saying there's some life drawing class on d 16th. Now I was pretty much excited cos finally something practical to do besides needed to sharpen my life drawing skills which had gone sour *BTW* i went out with my friend in d rain to buy a sketch pad tho i tried to convince him to come 4 d drawing he refused. Then i had asked my other course mate if she'd come and she said yes(:D ) . So d time came I went there with my Nigerian/ABU mindset of a class of over 40 students whom have bonded over time, clicks have been made, friends have been picked, relationships being built some grudges held etc so I went expecting to see one young madame Alice seated with her agbada motionless and still quiet all through or was it quite d opposite of madame Alice "unsteady Aminu" that will just take of his shirt pose and take cigarette breaks almost every 5 mins. and when he was tired and wanted a break he sometimes would just get up unapologetic-ally and go, he'd be gisting while posing turning around as I said a bit unsteady. life drawing class 4 me was .... please let's not go there I'd rather not talk about it) *hehehhehe escape* so I walked into class, there was my course mate i felt a bit relaxed and some 3 other students i didn't know. I found a place to sit opened my brand new sketch pad and began smoothing it out (I almost kissed it) and whispered silently to it 'for being quite expensive you'd better give me my money's worth'. Meanwhile as I was having that brief moment with my sketchpad some student had walked in and started taking off his shoes, then socks......., immediately my attention turned to him, that must b d model I thought but y is he taking off his SHOES then SOCKS then SHIRT then JEANS (i silently said in my head 'pls don't, pls don't') then..... OMG! his BOXERS came off. I stood still 4 a minute, where I come from (Nigeria/ABU) this has never happened, u learn anatomy by d books. This kind of things you only get to see in art movies or u hear about it. I stroked my sketchbook not knowing where to start from but then d 1st pose was for 10 mins I hadn't gone far wen d time was up and had to change position I was still in quite a bit of surprise. But before long I got used to it maybe because no 1 else felt uneasy about it not even my geeky course mate that was there, then there was like an intimate connection between d model and we drawing. Rather Dan seeing a nude man we saw lines, shapes and forms. Well though I still struggle with my life drawing I'm hoping to improve and looking forward to more life drawing classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment